WALTER GERHARDS KG KERAMIK JUG VASE Nr.240/25
CONTACT US HERE ABOUT THIS ITEM.
A beautiful hand built jug vase with a matt metallic anthracite glaze on top of a glossy teal underglaze. the form is complex and decorated with 2 raised rings of thumb prints encircling the body of the vase.
WALTER GERHARDS KG was founded in 1957 (and registered in 1959) in Ransbach-Baumbach, by Walter Gerhards and his wife Elfriede Gerhards. It was reorganized as Gerhards GmbH in 1974. There were approximately 50 employees by 1977, later expanding to 70, using six large electric ovens. Elfriede managed the business while Walter led the artistic and technical design.
Initial production focused on ceramic planters, but ornamental lighting and other decorative ceramics, including vases and plates, soon took focus. Ceramic lamps were turned over to lighting companies who completed the electronic components.
There was a particular interest in relief decorations, often reflecting ancient or historic scenes. Examples include the Lion Hunt of Ashurbanipal and a Napoleon series. In 1984 ownership changed; the company continued until 2000.
NOTE: It has long been believed that Walter Gerhards designed for Wilhelm Söndgen GmbH at some point, but this is not the case. Gerhards only designed for his own company Walter Gerhards KG.
|Design Period||1950 to 1959|
|Production Period||1960 to 1969|
|Country of Manufacture||Germany|
|Identifying Marks||This piece has been attributed based on archival documentation, such as vintage catalogs, designer records, or other literature sources|
|Style||Vintage, Mid-Century, Hand-Crafted, Modernist|
|Detailed Condition||Excellent — This vintage piece is in near original condition. It may show minimal traces of use and/or have slight restorations.|