WERNER MESCHEDE TILE FOR MAJOLIKA MANUFAKTUR KARLSRUHE 7243
CONTACT US HERE about this item.
A beautiful sunflower wall tile by Werner Meschede from the well-known series of botanical plaques he produced for MAJOLIKA MANUFAKTUR KARLSRUHE between 1965 and 1978. The three-dimensional depth of the glassy surface is difficult to capture photographically but, trust us, is incredible in person. This plaque would serve as wonderful room décor and is suitable for framing. Engraved inverso with the standard MAJOLIKA MANUFAKTUR KARLSRUHE mark and form number. Slight damage to top right corner [see photo].
WERNER MESCHEDE was one of the most significant majolica designers of the 20th century. He was born in Stuttgart in 1925. Meschede studied under the tutelage of the ceramic artist Max Laeuger and began work as a potter in Schorndorf, a small town near Stuttgart, after WWII. In 1958 he received his mastership from Stuttgart Academy and was hired by MAJOLIKA MANAFAKTUR KARLSRUHE. For many years he served as their director of screen printing, also producing many architectural and garden ceramics, both singular pieces and in series. Meschede is well known for his botanical series of majolica wall plaques and tiles, as well as numerous lava glaze vases, crackled items, and plates.
MAJOLIKA MANUFAKTUR KARLSRUHE was set up at Karlsruhe in south-west Germany in 1901 in a pottery built by Grand Duke Friedrich I. The raison d'être for the pottery was the desire of two German pictorial artists, Wilhelm Süs and Hans Thoma, to produce ceramics in the Italian Renaissance style. Towards the end of the decade, a style—compositions, often including cherubim, on a blue background—had developed. Domestic and decorative wares were produced using designs by various artists, and the company also began the production of architectural and outdoor ceramics.
In the following years the pottery passed through various hands, at one time being occupied by VILLEROY & BOCH, the premises being owned by the state of Baden. In 1927 the word 'Staatliche' was added to the name to indicate state ownership. Top designers of the day were employed, notably Ludwig König, and Max Läuger.
The factory was badly damaged by bombs in 1944 and did not return to the full-time production of decorative goods until the 1950's, when business resumed much as in pre-war days, with both company-employed and freelance designers. One of the primary designers through the 1970s was Friedegart Glatzle. Other designers of note during this period included such luminaries as Eva Fritz-Lindner and Werner Meschede. To this day the company provides artists with their own studio space and commissions work from them. Product examples can be seen at the Badisches Landesmuseum in Karlsruhe.
Most MAJOLIKA MANUFAKTUR KARLSRUHE pieces are marked with the company's name and symbol. The symbol comprises the crown of Baden and, below it, a double-joined 'M' standing for Majolika-Manufaktur. Items are made with a red-orange clay and are marked with a form number.
Production Period – 1965-1974
Country of Origin – WEST GERMANY
Designer – WERNER MESCHEDE (1925-1981)
Maker – MAJOLIKA MANUFAKTUR KARLSRUHE
Attribution – MARKED
Materials – MAJOLICA
Condition – GOOD (fully functional, but shows signs of age: scuffs, dings, faded finishes, minimal upholstery defects, and/or visible repairs)
Height (cm) – 48.0
Width (cm) – 39.0
Depth (cm) – 2.0